LA Smoke-Free Air Act: About Act 815 / Fines
The Louisiana Smoke-Free Air Act (Act 815) covers:* Restaurants (including those with bars and the bar located within the restaurant)
- Sandwich stands
- School cafeterias
- Catering facilities
- Healthcare facilities
- Hotel-motel lobbies
- Public transportation
- Sports arenas
- Shopping malls
- Reception area/waiting rooms
- Retail stores
- Places of employment (including work areas, employee lounges, restrooms, conference rooms, meeting rooms, classrooms, employee cafeterias, hallways and vehicles)
- Private residences when used for licensed child care, adult day care or health care facility
- Private cars that are used for transporting children for child care, health care or adult day care centers or those that are carrying children ages 12 and younger (under Act 838)
- Educational facilities
- Schools (elementary and secondary)
- School buildings, the entire campus within the school gates and all school buses
Fines for individuals: $25 for the first offense, $50 for the second offense and $100 for the third or subsequent offense.
Fines for employers: $100 for the first offense, $250 for the second offense and $500 for the third or subsequent offense.
Half of the fines collected will go to the Department of Health and Hospitals’ Tobacco Control Program.